Friday, February 1, 2008

The Lovin' Spoonful - Do You Believe In Magic - 1965


#1: "Do you believe in magic, and i hope you do. You'll always see a friend in big red shoes..."

Shame on McDonalds. And their ad agency.

#2: The Lovin' Spoonful is one of the most drastically underrated musical entities of the 1960s.

#3: Crunchy guitar tones. Suburb production values. Foot-tapability. It's all here.

#4: The previously unissued bonus tracks ought to have been previously issued.

[Tracklist]
1. "Do You Believe In Magic?" (Sebastian) – 2:07
2. "Blues in the Bottle" (Traditional) – 2:12
3. "Sportin' Life" (Traditional) – 4:04
4. "My Gal" (Traditional) – 2:38
5. "You Baby" (Barry Mann/Phil Spector/Cynthia Weil) – 2:56
6. "Fishin' Blues" (Traditional) – 2:02
7. "Did You Ever Have to Make up Your Mind?" (Sebastian) – 1:59
8. "Wild About My Lovin'" (Traditional) – 2:36
9. "Other Side of This Life" (Fred Neil) – 2:30
10. "Younger Girl" (Sebastian) – 2:20
11. "On the Road Again" (Sebastian) – 1:51
12. "Night Owl Blues" (Steve Boone/Joe Butler/Sebastian/Zal
Yanovsky) – 3:05

Bonus tracks from 2002 reissue:

13. "Alley Oop" (Frazier) – 2:17
14. "Younger Girl" (Sebastian) – 2:39
15. "Blues in the Bottle" (Traditional) – 3:02
16. "Wild About My Lovin'" (Traditional) – 2:36
17. "Other Side of This Life" (Neil) – 2:31

DOWNLOAD: HERE


5 comments:

Matt said...

Wow! Great post. I've heard so much of this band, but never really knew it.

Listening to "Blues in the Bottle" made me hear Kings of Leon in a whole new way.

Wasn't "Did You Ever Have to Make up Your Mind?" used on Schoolhouse Rock? Sounds so familiar.

Liking the "Other Side of this Life" instrumental version quite a bit, just a stellar mix. 0:27 is where is all comes together...that guitar sounds like pure gold.

brian said...

I'm not sure about the School House Rock - a lot of their music has been used commercially though.


Eventually I'll be posting another album or two or theirs from the mid 60s. They had a run of quite good ones.

Blogfoot said...

All building towards John Sebastian's peak achievement: the them to "Welcome Back, Kotter."

Blogfoot said...

Oops. Make that "theme." As in "played during the opening / closing credits."

brian said...

I like to pretend it's whatever year the album I'm listening to was recorded in. This way I can ignore later discretions. Without such a system in place, I wouldn't be where I am today.