Sunday, May 4, 2008

Love Potion No. 9 - Herb Albert + Tijuana Brass - 1965



My grandparent's record collection went something like this:

Lawrence Welk
Lawrence Welk
Lawrence Welk
Hot-Naked-Lady slathered in whipped cream
Lawrence Welk
Lawrence Welk

..... at 6-years old, it was nothing short of eye-opening.

It wasn't until years later that I actually listened to it. And as it turns out Grandpa wasn't just being a perv. Well, maybe. But there's some great music to boot. Specifically the cover of The Clover's Love Potion No. 9. Complete with horns and tack piano, I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty, that if I were a stripper, this would be my anthem.

DOWNLOAD IT: HERE

2 comments:

Blogfoot said...

Soul Asylum put out an EP in the late 80's that parodied (or paid homage?) to that cover. Interestingly enough, I think they were signed to A&M at the time, although this was a Twin Tone release.

See it here:

http://www.twintone.com/projects/88144.html

brian said...

I remember seeing this now. Herb Albert must have an alright sense of humor. Or at least a steady stream of Tijuana tobacco.