Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Marvin Gaye - Groovin' - 1968

Motown has a seemingly endless deluge of unreleased music just sitting around in their vaults gathering dust. And frankly, it irritates me.

That's exactly the case with this 1968 cover of The Young Rascal's 'Groovin’. Cut during a late-1960s Norman Whitfield produced session, the song didn't see the light of day till' nearly 30-years later. And it's a shame, because Marvin's funk-infused version is nothing short of a gem.

It also really makes me wonder what else they're all sitting on. I swear, if I ever find out there's some top-secret Supremes sing Beach Boys album they didn't bother releasing, there will be hell to pay. Berry Gordy, consider yourself warned.

DOWNLOAD IT: HERE

2 comments:

laura.beth said...

I can't believe I've never heard this track before - it's phenomenal.

brian said...

There's an insanely difficult to find cover of him doing Bobby Hebb's 'Sunny' also. The only copy I've been able to find is this youtube version. It displeases me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kOJ5T8wsyTs